Re: PEAR DB 1.6.0 has been released

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2004 05:52:15 -0800

Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:<uwu69g7c4.fsf_at_standardandpoors.com>...
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
>
> > All SPAM is bad spam. I don't care if you are giving it away
> > for free. I don't care if you personally show up, install it,
> > configure it train on it, and then give me a check for $50: It
> > is still spam.
>
> I'm on the fence on this one. What is different from what this
> guy posted and what Jonathan Lewis posts every month?
>
> Sure, Jonathan is a great contributor, and well respected, but he
> is "advertising" a site. Is it so different, or is every
> posting's "Spam rating" to be analyzed on a case-by-case basis.
> I would never call Jonathan's postings spam, but I also have a
> hard time truly distinquishing that from the original posting in
> this thread.
>
> About a year ago, I had embarked on building an open source Oracle
> extension to Emacs to allow for dynamic query building within
> Emacs by interacting with metadata from Oracle. I never finished
> it, but had I actually published it to the Open source community,
> I certainly would have let people in this group know. Would I
> have been chastised for that?

I agree with you on Jonathan's posts, especially as he is top-posting his 'advertisement' for his courses and his site. I must say it annoys me, especially in thoses cases he only posts a 1-lined comment. In the end, even Jonathan is not more equal than other's. If he would only include the url of his site, I would have no problem with that.

What I consider spam is every 'free download' which's ultimate purpose is to attract you to a commercial site. Those posts are just like holding up a carott for a rabitt: in the end the vendor has trapped you, and you will end up in his Christmas dish.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Feb 27 2004 - 07:52:15 CST