Re: Automate Load of Multiple csv files

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:58:19 GMT

Since you are using Oracle 7.3, that precludes the use of Java. So you could code an external C routine that runs as a stored procedure. This routine could read the contents of the directory and pass the file name to UTL_FILE. Or you could upgrade to a new version of Oracle (9i perhaps) and do similar functions with Java Stored Procedures.

HTH,
Brian

April wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been looking into the automated and scheduled import of csv
> files (or files containing insert statements) into Oracle 7.3. I see
> that UTL_FILE is used to open and read files. However, the file name
> is required. I would have multiple files sitting on a network share
> of which all would have to be imported and then the processed file
> either written to as processed or moved to another location. Is there
> some way to read file names using PL/SQL so that I could pass in the
> file name to UTL_FILE.FOPEN? Also this would have to be a scheduled
> job to occur regularly?
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> April