Re: Standby on 8.0.6

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:40:14 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "freCho" <svenson1_at_libero.it> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.02.25.09.31.00.230517_at_libero.it>...
>

>>Hi,
>>It's standby supported on 8.0.6 ?
>>I don't find nothing on metalink or otn.
>>
>>Thank's

> Standby databases were around in at least version 7, so the simple
> answer to your question is "yes".
>
> Don't expect to be able to *automatically* ship redo to the standby
> database, however, as that feature (called "Managed Standby") was only
> invented in 8i.
>
> Regards
> HJR
(Physical) standby databases in Oracle 8 cannot be opened read-only as they can in 8i onward, which limits them strictly to disaster recovery purposes, and you can't even verify that they are working correctly without activating them, which of course requires you to start all over.

--Mark Bole Received on Thu Feb 26 2004 - 09:40:14 CST