Re: Some tunnels work. not others - why??

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 15:19:59 GMT

Jared wrote:

> I am having an interesting ssh problem. I am hoping someone more
> knowledgeable than I can spot where I'm messing up.
>
> I have Oracle databases on two different machines. I want to transfer
> the data (Oracle export/import) via piping to an ssh tunnel. I have
> done this successfully using ssh v1 (search on my address and it will
> come up, I posted the technique). Now I have to get this working with
> ssh v2 as that is our SA's dictate. Both machines are running Solaris
> 8; both Oracle databases are the same major and minor release.

[...] Is there something special about using this technique
> with ssh v2 that I am missing from the man page?
>
> TIA -
>
> Kind regards,
> jh

This is an SSH issue, not an Oracle one. (I see you have cross-posted, I am only answering on the Oracle side). I have upgraded from SSH v1 to SSH v2 under Solaris 8 and while not using your exact technique, in general have not had too many problems. However, there are very many configuration options that can affect what you are trying to do - did your SA's carefully convert all existing sshd_config and ssh_config files to work equivalently in the new version?

There is a -v option of ssh that you can specify multiple times to increase the verbosity of debug info. With the cooperation of your SA's, you should also be able to enable a tempory debug instance of the sshd service on the target machine.

Are you blocked (at the TCP port level) from doing the export across the network directly from the target machine? You might consider the general-purpose port forwarding mechanism of SSH to forward the listener port (1521) on the source machine to the target machine. Alternately, use the mknod technique to export locally while gzip'ing on the fly, copy the gzip'ed export to the target machine, and then reverse the process to unzip and import on the fly.

HTH, --Mark Bole Received on Thu Feb 26 2004 - 09:19:59 CST