Re: Cursor Cache and Excessive Parsing

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:51:34 -0000

Hi Matt

It looks like you have followed exactly the correct path in troubleshooting. You don't say what this batch process is written in, but it might be that it uses a technology that deliberately parses the same statement twice. I believe JDBC does this by default and that perl dbi does as well. If so it is likely that you can turn off the excessive parse calls when setting up the db connections. The bottom line though is that it is going to be the client that is issuing the parse calls and so the problem will need to be fixed at the client end (I'm eliminating a ludicrously small shared pool here).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA