Re: oracle 01Z0-001 exam

From: DJ <nospamplease_at_goaway.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:32:21 -0000

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1077752087.883790_at_yasure...
> DJ wrote:
>
> > I have one thing to say on OCP.
> >
> > If i was emplying someone for a dba job and had two people come in with
same
> > experience and same attitude, both would be a good emplyee. One has
OCP
> > the other hasn't.
> >
> > I am more likely to go for the guy with OCP becuase he has made the
effort
> > to get certified in the only way he can and shows an effort to learn.
> >
> > In wont win over exprienc ein my books - but might give you and edge, so
> > shouldnt be dismissed out of hand
> >
> > Dave
>
> You might. And in some parts of the planet that might be true. But
> I don't even ask about OCP and don't even care because passing the
> OCP only means you likely learned at least some things incorrectly.
>
> I rely solely on interview questions and a whiteboard to determine
> the level of expertise. You note I said expertise ... not experience.
> Some people have 15 years of experience. Some have 1 year of
> experience repeat 15 times.
>
> There is no such thing as two people with the same expertise.
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

OK point taken about expertise.

but say you have two people, both interview extremely well both know the concepts of Oracle
you would employ both of them if you had two positions.

How do you separate them?

I just dont tink OCP is a *bad* thing, those who rely solely on it are setting themself up for a fall, but there are people who geenrally do it to see where they have gaps in their knowledge, and honestly and openly did OCP for the right reason.

I know this topic had been beaten to death many time - but it definitely has its place in life.

but agreed that its not the main thing to consider - just might be a differentiator betwen two excellent candidates. Question for you - if you are interviewing, do you see OCP on a CV and (rightly or wrongly) think they are less skilled - i.e. do you think it can hurt a candidate to have it.

My comapny is going to pay for OCP - that to me is a good thing, I truely think it can only help me and my career, but I also have a hunger to learn about what I'm doing. Im of the opinion the two combined will set me on the right path

Dave Received on Wed Feb 25 2004 - 19:32:21 CST