Re: Common mistakes when upgrading to 9i

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:30:51 -0800

NetComrade wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are finally on a path to upgrade from 8i (8.1.7.4) to 9i (9.2.0.1).
> I wanted to learn from your experiences on things that can go wrong.
> I am going to list a few things I've read up on, and if you're kind enough,
> you'll let me know if I missed anything important
>
> * sga_max_size should be examied
> * pga_aggregate_target default is 25MB, if set DB ignores
> sort_area_size
> hash_area_size
> bitmap_merge_area_size
>
> How do above two affect MTS (Shared Server)
>
> * workarea_size_policy defaults to auto if pga_aggregate_target is set
> * db_cache_size replaces db_block_buffers and is in bytes
> * statistics_level defaults to typical
> * automatic undo management should be researched (but not req'd)
> * db_block_checksum is true by default in 9.2 (?)

Most common mistakes:

1. Not reading the documentation
2. Not moving to LMT
3. Not moving to and understanding UNDO rather than RBS
4. Whining about the loss of svrgmrl
5. Not knowing which init parameters have been deprecated
6. Not understanding the spfile and how to alter it

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu