Re: I/O wait question/scenario

From: Connor McDonald <hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:52:19 +0800

bordenm_at_methodisthealth.org wrote:

> Ok, here is the scenario. We have an application, clinical, that the
> db server is having pretty high I/O wait. It can be as high as 50 to
> 60%, but it is not consistently like this. It is more consistently
> around 30 to 40 during busy times. This is running on a p690 regatta
> attached to a shark. The partition is set up with 7procs and 16gig of
> ram. After the vendor has researched this a little, they have said the
> the I/O wait will go down once we add more users to the application.
> They are saying that the I/O wait is high because the processesors are
> so fast that it processes the transactions faster than what it can
> handle. Like I said, they say that the I/O wait will go down once we
> make the runqueues go up by adding more users to the application. To
> me, this doesn not sound correct.
>
> My question is, could this theory be correct? If it is correct,
> doesn't that mean that we have an I/O bottle neck period and it should
> be resolved? In my mind,since this application is on a SAN that we
> should have almost no I/O wait and maybe more run queues than anything
> period, no matter how many users are on the box.
>
> Thanks for you comments and opinions.
>
> Mike

Its an interesting proposition..."There might be a problem in area X, but we can resolve it by introducing problem Y, thus making X look insignficant"

:-)
--

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk
Co-Author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions" Received on Wed Feb 25 2004 - 04:52:19 CST