Re: tools for PL/SQL development

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:09:20 -0800

Teresa Redmond wrote:

> We have a test machine that has a backup of the production database
> running on it, and I use this to test everything I do. My question to
> you is what you recommend as a PL/SQL learning tool(s). I looked at
> the link in your .sig and saw that your school has online learning,
> but it doesn't look like the school offers the courses you teach
> online. But what you talk about here is what I'd be interested in.

The Oracle program is only offered to 60 students per year because it is extremely intense and, quite frankly, the instructor can't handle more. Mid-terms and finals often take two weeks to grade even for so few students.

I have been asked to join the University of California at Berkeley as an advisor to their Oracle program and I believe through UCB it may be possible to offer the course, or something similar, on-line. But that probably won't be until the fall at the earliest.

> The reason I ask this is because I'd like to move the functionalities
> of the various programs I have written into Oracle, as well as
> implementing new programs that I have in mind. We have a damn good
> database, it is meant to be used in certain ways which aren't being
> used, and I want to do this.

Feel free to contact me off-line. I am glad to help as long as you accept the caveat that my students come first. So during midterms, finals, etc. I may be remarkably unresponsive.

> We have 8i, 8.1.5, running on Win2k Pro. I know that's very old, but
> I don't have authorization to upgrade and the customer is not going to
> allow it. So I have to work with that. I also have just gotten
> Expert One-on-One and Efficient Oracle By Design, and am reading the
> Concepts documentation on otn's website. I believe I need a book for
> learning PL/SQL, and my company has agreed to purchase a CD from
> Oracle, INTRODUCTION TO ORACLE8I: SQL AND PL/SQL SELF-STUDY CD COURSE.
> What do you think of this so far? How would you recommend I
> supplement this, or even go about attacking it, assuming I finish
> reading Concepts first?
>
> Thanks very much for your help.

Personally I think very little of the many CD products out there. Syntax is easy to learn ... you can get that for free from Oracle's own http://tahiti.oracle.com. The difficult part is learning when to do things and when not too and that really requires many many hours of lecture or books such as Tom's.

Contact me off-line and I'll try to point you in the right direction as things come up. Also let me know what country, state, city, you are in as I may have a contact in your area.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu