Re: Slow performance while searching con$

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:43:02 GMT

"Nexio" <nexio_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:58a94bde.0402240217.1a6b5a04_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi People,
> Getting very slow performance during inserts and drop tables (even
> empty, truncated and recreated ones!).
> Drop tables usually take 5 - 10 seconds.
> The server is a quad processor, w2k with heaps of ram and running on
> local disks.
>
> Oracle 8.1.7.x usually hangs on a select from con$ and cdef$...
>
> eg. Insert hangs on this
>
> SELECT c.NAME, u.NAME
> FROM con$ c, cdef$ cd, user$ u
> WHERE c.con# = cd.con# AND cd.enabled = :1 AND c.owner# = u.user#
>
> Has anyone seen this before ?
>
> Please be kind =o)
>
> Thanks

I bet you are using dictionary managed tablespaces. Use locally managed tablespaces for your non-system tablespaces. I think you are seeing serialization around the extent management. Heaps of ram and cpu isn't going to solve the problem. Also IO could be an issue not CPU. Jim Received on Tue Feb 24 2004 - 09:43:02 CST