Re: rman recover/restore from backup

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:01:36 -0000

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:j66dnZuYfIrfP6fdRVn-tA_at_comcast.com...

> Hello Howard,
>
> Quite opposite. I do read. You do interpret.
>
> Read *WHAT user said:
>

> #1:
> "After creating a new partition for the data files, I ran dbca
> to create new database files. I would like to get the users tablespace
> stuff out of the backups and put it into the new database that was
> created by dbca.
> The docos are pretty confusing about all of this. Is there
> not some way to basically take the .bck files, extract the users
> tablespace and put it into the existing database? Sort of like what
> you might do with import?
> Thanks."
>
> #2:
>
> "This is a development db so if a few things got lost it was no big deal.
> Somebody should have said (and in so many words
> they did)"

This is somewhat selective quoting isn't it though, lets get quote 2 in context shall we

"I naively created a new db and thought I could copy the user stuff into it. This is a development db so if a few things got lost it was no big deal. Somebody should have said (and in so many words they did) "Hey nimrod, that's a bassackwards way to recover your data. Keep poking around in your backups - the control files are there, they're just shy about announcing themselves." Well, that's true."

It is also dated 5 days after your original advice, and 4 days after Joe thanked Howard for his helpful advice the first time :(

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA