Re: rman recover/restore from backup

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:25:35 -0000

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:EuudndbsCrbTAqfdRVn-sQ_at_comcast.com...
> "right, well what is now stopping him from simply recovering his original
> database?".
>
> PRODUCTION database DOWNTIME should be as minimal as possible.

Data loss should be minimal as well shouldn't it? But you are offering INCOMPLETE recovery rather than complete recovery.

> USER created NEW database and never told in his original message that it
can
> be trashed as will.
>
> Later user mentioned that it was REAL development database, with the REAL
> users - which is considered internal PRODUCTION database.

I must have missed that, all I have is the original comment

"After creating a new partition for the data files, I ran dbca to create new database files. I would like to get the users tablespace stuff out of the backups and put it into the new database that was created by dbca."

I don't see any mention of the live users, I do see lots of mention of 'my live database has failed and I need to recover the data that was in my USERS tablespace, can I just plug it into a new database' to which the appropriate answer is almost certainly not well you can recover some of the lost data, but here is how you can recover your database.

and of course the follow up post

"After reading through all of the posts, I deleted the new database and was able to restore the control files from the RMAN backups and then restore/recover everything else. So it looks like all is well, again."

which rather suggests that Howard had it right :(

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA