Re: Oracle processes running wild

From: Jan Gelbrich <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:56:48 +0100

"Dennis Bieling" <dennis.bieling_at_epigenomics.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:c1f2nk$vt6$1_at_broglie.epigenomics.epi...
> Hi!
>
> I have the following problem. On one of our database instances (9ir2)
> there are 3 oracle processes running wild for 2 days now, using each
> 100% CPU performance, so there is only one more left for real business .
> I identified the 3 sessions
> that are responsible for these prozesses. After asking the user
> who is the owner of these sessions, he told me that he doesn't know
> about the sessions and that probably a statement was aborted.
> When I looked at the SQL that belongs to the sessions, there was no
> statement associated with any of these sessions. Therefore I decided
> to kill those sessions. They are now marked as "killed", but the
> operating system processes are still active and using still
> 3 of the 4 CPUs. What can I do to get rid of them without stopping the
> database? Is it save to kill these oracle processes?
>
> Best regards
> Dennis

Hi, Dennis.

Do not kill the processes on UNIX level, this is not safe. It can make Your database unusuable. The sessions are marked as "killed" as long as the sessions are "cleaned up" by the processes. So the only advice I cound give is: wait until the killed seesions are gone. This may take a while, but this is the safest way.

Maybe others have more ideas ?

hth, Jan Received on Tue Feb 24 2004 - 02:56:48 CST