Re: rman recover/restore from backup

From: Ron <support_at_dbainfopower.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:07:36 -0800

Hello Howard,

   Quite opposite. I do read. You do interpret.

#1:
"After creating a new partition for the data files, I ran dbca to create new database files. I would like to get the users tablespace stuff out of the backups and put it into the new database that was created by dbca.
The docos are pretty confusing about all of this. Is there not some way to basically take the .bck files, extract the users tablespace and put it into the existing database? Sort of like what you might do with import?
Thanks."

#2:

"This is a development db so if a few things got lost it was no big deal. Somebody should have said (and in so many words they did)"

   Anything is not CLEAR? Does this looks like a question on HOW to RECOVER database? Does this say I can TRASH database at will?

   This WAS a REAL database, real USERS, real LIFE. Development database considered INTERNAL PRODUCTION.

   In a big company you'd have enormous pressure to get it back - both from employees and management.

  If DBA can not recover database and decide recreated it - it is back in use IMMEDIATELY. It is not a TOY. Touch it again - and consequences can be dare.

   User was very LUCKY to be able to follow your advice that required him to dispose NEW database and start recovery again. In many places doing this he would risk his career.

   If you need some data from the old database - Best you can do is to perform TSPIRT on tablespaces you need and move them to the NEW database.

  Doing TSPITR you DO NOT IMPACT PRODUCTION DATABASE - this is what is important.

 Anything else that requires additional production downtime is RECKLESS!

  Hope you can face these facts.

Regards,

  Ron
  DBA Infopower