Re: Linux vs. Windows performance.

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:07:24 +0100

Chuck wrote:
> Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in
>

>>Chuck wrote:

>>>I wish I could simply move
>>>all these Win2k instances to unix but the vendor will not support the
>>>application on any platform but win2k. :-(
>>
>>Dump vendor - os has nothing to do with application that uses the db.

> Parts of the application run on the database server (purges, maintenance,
> etc.) so in this case the db platform does have a bearing on the
> application.

Chuck, I'd say you were hired for the maintenance part (no offense), and purges? Purging data from the database? That should have nothing to do with the os platform, either.

Of course there are always arguments - from the vendor, mostly. Nevertheless, I stand by my remark, although I would inform management in somewhat other wording ;-)

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel