Re: ORA-01595 and ORA-01594 upon startup

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:58:25 -0600

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:28:48 -0500, "Bib Endum" <gd-newsgroups_at_spamex.com> wrote:

>I have a database instance wich gives me the following error message
>everytime I restart it while doing my weekly cold backups:
>
>Errors in file /disk1/app/oracle/admin/PWEB/bdump/pweb_smon_25704.trc:
>ORA-01595: error freeing extent (4) of rollback segment (5))
>ORA-01594: attempt to wrap into rollback segment (5) extent (4) which is
>being freed
>
>During the cold backup I:
>
>a) shutdown immediate the database,
>b) then startup restrict to get file names and then
>c) shut it down immediate once more to actually copy the files and then
>d) restart it.
>
>When I do step b, I have the error in the alert log. I know it is only a
>warning, but I started getting this error when we recreated the database on
>a new machine. The only thing that chaged is the size of the rollback
>segments and the fact that they are now in a locally managed tablespace.
>
>I recreated the rollback segments with their prior sizes, and I still get
>the error. I tried playing with the optimal size and got nothing useful.
>
>I'm having a hard time figuring out what this message exactly means. Why
>would it wrap in a segment that is being freed ? There is still a huge
>amount of free space in the rollback segment. And I have almost NO
>transactions happening in the database at this time, it's late at night and
>I'm juste STARTING it.

I can't answer your direct question, but am curious about why you do a shutdown/startup restrict. I'm assuming you're doing a SELECT against dba_data_files or v$dbfile to gen a list of files to be copied for the cold backup, but what's to be gained from the shutdown/startup restrict? Why not just connect, get the info, then shutdown and do the backup? Received on Mon Feb 23 2004 - 12:58:25 CST