Re: Linux vs. Windows performance.

From: Chuck <chuckh_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: 23 Feb 2004 15:13:18 GMT

Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net> wrote in news:oWpZb.28148$n17.25302_at_clgrps13:

>> It was supposed to work on 8.1.5, 8.1.6 (what a horrible release),
>> and 8.1.7 as well. In fact, way back on 8.1.5 (2 years ago maybe) I
>> was told by Oracle Tech.Support to enable DCD and that would fix my
>> orphaned threads problem. It did not. About a month ago, they told me
>> it was the cause of my orphaned threads problem, disable it and that
>> would fix the same problem. It did not. I wish I could simply move
>> all these Win2k instances to unix but the vendor will not support the
>> application on any platform but win2k. :-(
>
> Unless the vendor has deliberatly put server-side hooks to the OS
> (rare), there is no technical reason for running the database on any
> specific OS.

Automated maintenance jobs run on the DB server. Also, the vendor is responsible for schema maintenace during upgrades. All of their upgrade scripts are windows batch files and all of their technical expertise is geared towards Windows.

I am trying to convince them to let me move the database to AIX, and they can still run their maintenance/upgrades from the Win2k server. They should be able to just set the LOCAL environment variable to the tns name I give them for their database and everything should work. They have never done this before however and are reluctant.

--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email