Re: tools for PL/SQL development

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:09:31 -0800

Mark C. Stock wrote:

> not a matter GUI vs education/intelligence... and believe it or not, some
> GUIs are used by more than one company

What I meant was you don't walk out with the CD. Can't use it at home. Can't take it to your next job. Maybe they have it ... maybe they don't. Maybe they don't have Windows and then what do you do?

> get educated/intelligent and then make choices that enhance your
> productivity -- and be flexible enough to adapt to any client/employer's
> environment

No debate. My original point was not GUI is bad: I'm not a command line bigot. Just if you have limited dollars ... spend them where you will get the most value. I like and use TORA and SQL*Navigator and sometimes others. Highly recommend them. But not as a substitute for knowing what you are doing.

> avoid GUI's and you will eventually get in a situation where your
> client/employer uses a GUI and then you'll have to get over your fear
 > factor and use it avoid SQL*Plus and you'll have the same problem
>
> ;-{ mcs

If you can't learn the various GUIs in 5-10 minutes you have no business working with a keyboard and a mouse.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu