Re: rman recover/restore from backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:36:10 +1100

> > Hello Norm,
> >
> > I can spend couple hours of my time and send results to the group. No
> > problem at all. (Anyone can do this even without prior experience -
metalink
> > filled up with the step by step notes on tspitr).
> >
> > What I afraid is that this would only add gas to the flames. If major
> > thread participants (those who you mentioned) think opposite, I'll be
glad
> > to do this. If I'll fail - I'll apologize and will expect same from
them.

> From the original tspitr page you linked to, a list of the things
> tspitr is good for correcting:
>
> ---------------------- Begin Inclusion
> ---------------------------------
> An erroneous DROP TABLE or TRUNCATE TABLE statement
> A table that has become logically corrupted
> An incorrect batch job or other DML statement that has affected only a
> subset of the database
> A logical schema to a point different from the rest of the physical
> database when multiple schemas exist in separate tablespaces of one
> physical database
>
> ---------------------- End Inclusion
> -----------------------------------
>
> None of those are even close to what the OP had.
>
> You just didn't understand what it was the OP didn't understand.
> Those misapprehensions of the OP are the clues that hjr was able to
> correctly read and correct in his first post.
>
> One of the most important aspects of being a production DBA or support
> DBA is to asses the situation correctly. This includes spotting
> incorrect usage of words or concepts when given the problem symptoms.
> If someone asks the proper way to deice a carburetor with an acetylene
> torch, the proper answer is "Don't do that." There are ways to deice
> a carburetor, but they usually involve a small airplane and a
> carb-heat control. There are uses for the torch too. If the person
> has a diesel VW Rabbit, you _know_ he is asking the wrong question.
> The right answer might be "cut the Rabbit into small pieces."
>
> So go ahead and do your demo. Give it a new Subject line. Like a
> rabbit or certain former presidential candidate, We're All Ears.

Thanks Joel. I was beginning to think it was just me.

But he won't get it. And if he gets it, he won't admit it.

And given that I think that most of the people whose opinion here I value have taken the same line you have, I'll let it lie there. Hopefully it will be clear to anyone who in 10 years' time are trawling the Google archives who got nearer to the heart of the matter here.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 19:36:10 CST