Re: Linux vs. Windows performance.

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 20 Feb 2004 16:00:15 -0800

ernestsiu_at_yahoo.com (Ernest Siu) wrote in message news:<2833144d.0402171259.5d0463bf_at_posting.google.com>...
> For what I understand, hyperthreading is about concurrently utilizing
> the ALU and the FPU. Therefore, if operations on the queue has both
> logical operations and floating-point operations, they will be
> parallelized. I'm not an Oracle expert or anything close to that but
> I'll doubt a database query will require a lot of 'floating-point'
> operations.

Actually, Oracle spends quite a bit of time figuring out if things are in memory [SGA] so it doesn't have to go plead for them from the disk.  This winds up being a big win on an OLTP system, as well as in use of packaged procedures. One query doesn't make much difference, but a whole bunch of one queries requires a bigger whole bunch of operations. So the question in my mind becomes, is Oracle smart enough to use hyperthreading if it is enabled to help out with this stuff. The only answer to this I've seen appears to be "no, it just uses the cpu count to set some minor assumptions."

> The BIOS says there're 2 CPU but there's really 1 physical CPU. Yeah
> really :)
>
> Ernest
>
> norwoodthree_at_my-deja.com (NorwoodThree) wrote in message news:<ba03e2c.0402162305.1140054c_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Keyword: "Virtual"

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Love is a perky elf dancing a merry little jig and then suddenly he