Re: Optimizer Mode

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:37:23 -0500

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1077300834.922938_at_yasure...
| Last night while teaching DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO I found something
| in v$sqlarea that is undocumented at tahiti.oracle.com (9.2.0.4)
|
| SQL> select distinct optimizer_mode from v$sqlarea;
|
| OPTIMIZER_MODE
| -------------------------
| CHOOSE
| MULTIPLE CHILDREN PRESENT
| NONE
|

| Can anyone explain what the MULTIPLE CHILDREN PRESENT optimizer
| mode is?
|
| Thanks.
|
| --
| Daniel Morgan
| http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
| http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
| damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
| (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

could it apply to the students?

seriously, this is referencing 'multiple child cursors' , not an actual mode -- look in v$sql for the actual statements and the actual mode

to get you started (from the Reference Manual). brackets added ...

V$SQL
This view lists statistics on shared SQL area [[ without the GROUP BY clause and
contains one row for each child of the original SQL text entered. ]]

V$SQLAREA
This view lists statistics on shared SQL area and contains one row [[ per SQL string. ]] It
provides statistics on SQL statements that are in memory, parsed, and ready for
execution.

;-{ mcs Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 12:37:23 CST