Re: tools for PL/SQL development

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:26:35 -0800

Dusan Bolek wrote:

> Cris Carampa <cris119_at_operamail.com> wrote in message news:<c0vnoo$pms$1_at_panco.nettuno.it>...
>

>>My boss wants me to evalutate tools for enhancing productivity in PL/SQL
>>development, like TOAD or Embarcadero SQL Debugger, but I'm currently
>>happy with my "franciscan" enviroment (vi+sqlplus) :) Am I such a
>>dinosaur? Which tools are you PL/SQL developers using?

> I strongly vote for some kind of PL/SQL developing tool. I can't agree
> with Connor or Daniel that debuggers are waste of money and SQL*Plus
> is the best.

I didn't say debuggers are a waste of time. What I said was that you get more return on investment with good training than with a GUI.

I a GUI debugger when I need one. That comes out to only once or twice a month because I rarely need to waste time debugging code. Most of my debugging time is on application logic and no debugger, GUI or otherwise, can catch those.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu