Re: Options for wide-area database?

From: Ernest Siu <ernestsiu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 20 Feb 2004 09:27:35 -0800

> 6) Latency is not only dependent on distance, but also on
> infrastructure between. Generally, we have lantencies several ms on
> 30km. Average latency could be about 1ms on this distance, but a
> maximum is higher. And for RAC important is a maximum not an average.
> With greater distances you will see not only increase of average, but
> also a bigger variance in numbers.

What do you use to determine the latency? Host ping time? Statspak? Which parameter do you check?

No doubt that the things we're doing are more experimental and exploratory. Our goal is to find out what part of the inter-node communication is causing the most pain.

Can you tell me why you guys take a deep look into wide-area RAC? To me, it gives DR, load-balancing and consistent image across a distance. This sounds to me to be replacing data-guard, advanced replication and beyond. Obviously as you point out, this has to be truly tested in very stress environment and/or Oracle stamp of approval.

Ernest Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 11:27:35 CST