Re: tools for PL/SQL development

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:07:18 -0500

> [...]
PL/SQL

| >>Not sure I totally agree.
| >>
| >>The OP was talking about PL/SQL development. Using SQL*Plus to do such
| >>development isn't really the ideal tool - you're looking for an
| >>environment to make a developer's life easier.
|

| --
| Andy - Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of
| Advantica Ltd

similar things were said about the steam engine...

the advise to stick with SQL*Plus until you know what you're doing is good for only about the first 10 minutes of your Oracle career

yes, you need to know how SQL*Plus works, and you need to understand the what the SQL is doing, but where is the advantage to using vi/notepad and SHOW ERRORS rather than an honest-to-goodness programmer's editor that highlights keywords and syntax (so you can easily see where you forgot to terminate a string) and highlights the error locations?

learning SQL and using a GUI tool are not mutually exclusive, and there is no inherent virtue in vi -- i think the point that should be made is do not rely on a gui to generate SQL that you don't understand, but by all means, use the tools that make your life simpler, but use them responsibly

;-{ mcs Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 11:07:18 CST