Re: tools for PL/SQL development

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 20 Feb 2004 06:39:56 -0800

Cris Carampa <cris119_at_operamail.com> wrote in message news:<c0vnoo$pms$1_at_panco.nettuno.it>...
> My boss wants me to evalutate tools for enhancing productivity in PL/SQL
> development, like TOAD or Embarcadero SQL Debugger, but I'm currently
> happy with my "franciscan" enviroment (vi+sqlplus) :) Am I such a
> dinosaur? Which tools are you PL/SQL developers using?

I strongly vote for some kind of PL/SQL developing tool. I can't agree with Connor or Daniel that debuggers are waste of money and SQL*Plus is the best. Almost every language has its debugger and IDE, why PL/SQL should be an exception? Number of companies are developing in PL/SQL huge projects with tons of lines. How can you handle this with SQL*Plus?
Maybe I'm a bad developer (which is true because I'm not a developer at all), but when I'm programming some package with 10+ procedures I need to be able to jump between them in a single click and if something goes wrong I definitely need a debugger. Maybe others can write a flawless code and find bugs on the spot, but I'm not that good.
As as a tool I would also recommend already mentioned PL/SQL Developer, because it costs nothing and contributes a lot. There are some bugs (especially in accessing other user's objects), but value/cost ratio is unbelievebly high. I've never seen such tool for just few bucks. On the opposite side I'm strongly dissuading from purchasing of SQL Programmer, which is useless, buggy, slow and costs just too much for its value. The only good part of SQL Programmer from my point of view is its SQL scriptor, which is *VERY* dangerous, but very powerfull.

--
Dusan Bolek

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, so your mail will not be burnt.