Re: ManagementServer service won't start on XP Pro

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:38:50 +1100

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/em.920/a96673/ch3.htm#1656
> to try and set this up and now I'm stuck.
>
> I'm having trouble getting the Management Server service started on a
> XP Pro box. I created a repository using the EMCA. The service name is
> BIGBOSS:1521:OEMREP. That added the ManagementServer service to the
> Windows services control panel and when I try to start the service
> from the control panel I get the following message.
>
> "The OracleOraHome92ManagementServer service on Local Computer started
> and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no
> work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."
>
> When I look in the Event Log it leads me to the oms.nohup file and
> then I'm lost. There's just a whole bunch of
> java.lang.NullPointerException errors and at the very end of the file
> it says "Could not start management server. Initialization failure"
>
> All of this of course leads to a VTK-1000 error when I try to log into
> the EMC.
>
> Also when ever I try to start the dbsnmp I get the following display,
>
> Service name is empty
> Agent NT service name is not set
> Failed while initializing Comm service
> Error initializing subsystems
>
> Can someone please tell me what I haven't done?
>
> Thank you

At a wild guess, you've not done all the Oracle networking stuff properly. Is there a tnsnames? Is the listener working? Does the listener have a static SID_LIST declaration instead of just relying on automatic instance registration? Do you have a DNS problem resolving your XP machine name? Do you have the same IP address as you had when you installed Oracle? Has you PC name been changed?

It sounds like just a messy networking scenario, so the problem could sort of be anywhere, really.

Although the paper is intended for Linux, you may find pages 40 to 71 of my 'installing Oracle onto Red Hat 9' paper useful. It walks you through all the networking steps, which are mostly identical on Linux and Windows, and you could maybe post back with specific issues as you try each one.

Regards
HJR

Oracle Insights: www.dizwell.com