Re: Remote Client newbie question

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 19 Feb 2004 21:57:02 -0800

"Karl Hungus" <nnnnndddddd_at_hotmail.com> wrote :

> If I have the oracle client installed at home on win2k. Is it possible to
> remotely connect to a schema at work?

Yes.

> What do I need to configure on my
> machine?

You need two basic things:

  1. IP access to the remote Oracle machine at the office. Can you ping in?
  2. Update your TNSNAMES.ORA file (you can do that via the Network Assistant tool of Oracle) and enter the following details of the remote machine and Oracle database: - IP address - TCP port of the Oracle listener on that machine - the database SID (System ID) on that machine

Click the DOWNLOAD button at www.oracle.com and have a look yourself. :-)

--
Billy