Re: RMAN backup archivelog hangs on SuSe Linux 8.0

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:37:06 +1100

Can I first suggest you learn how to edit things before posting 136KB of repetitive output here? A couple of the successful archive backups, a bit of an ellision, and the last part of the out put showing the hang would have been quite enough.

Anyway... A couple of things.

Channel 1 backs up 383 archives. How many should Channel 2 do? And what is your MAXLOGHISTORY set to in your control file? For that number of archives, are you sure that 2 channels is sufficient?

Second: You wouldn't perhaps be running out of disk space for the backup sets would you? The "delete input" command won't kick in until the complete archivelog backup has succeeded. So you have to have space for both the backups and the originals, momentarily.

Third: What happens if you just run a job which backs up the archive logs on their own, without doing the database first?

Fourth, you appear to be running an early version of 8.1.7. This is not necessarily the cause of your problem (and indeed probably has nothing to do with it) but you can expect odd fireworks unless you patch this database to at least 8.1.7.4. This could be one of them.

Fifth, I get my Linux versions confused, but I believe that SuSe 8.0 was not a certified platform for 8i, in which case this could be just "one of those things" you have to live with.

Regards
HJR

Oracle Insights: www.dizwell.com