Re: rman recover/restore from backup

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:11:37 GMT

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:P6udnZcoxsT0oqndRVn-gQ_at_comcast.com...

> As usual - unreasonable personal accusations and facts twisting.
>
> Mr Howard probably hopes that no one would read original post.

Hi again Ron,

I've really enjoyed catching up with your antics on this thread, very very amusing. Thanks heaps.

I've actually *read* the original post, read the various pieces of "advice" and I've come to a rather convincing conclusion. That you my friend have *no* idea. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Lets look at the facts.

  1. OP describes a scenario whereby he has a perfectly reasonable backup less control files
  2. OP can therefore recreate his control files and fully recover his database with RMAN
  3. OP is clearly inexperienced and has gone down the wrong path by unnecessarily creating a second DB into which he wishes to "copy across" his required data from the first, fully recoverable database.
  4. Howard gives OP sound advice on how to recover his *original* database *completely* without the need for a second database, without the need for a point in time recovery, without the need of losing any data.
  5. You recommend pursuing the *second* database technique and *partially* recovering a *specific* tablespace. In your rush to read up the recovery manuals and discovering that there's a TSPITR option, you've clearly focused too much on the *Tablespace* portion and not enough on the *Point In Time* bit.
  6. Your advice is therefore clearly not appropriate, a bad option and results in a infinitely inferior solution as the OP requires a second database (unnecessarily), loss of all data outside of tablespaces recovered (unnecessarily), loss of all data after the specified point of time in the selected tablespaces (unnecessarily)
  7. The OP thankfully follows Howard's advice and *fully* recovers his original database, thankfully without following any of your suggestions
  8. You take all the credit
  9. You attack Howard as being "reckless" with"disregard for all safe-guard rules" !!

I think that about sums this thread up. Like I said, it's hilarious !!

> Mr Howard. is welcome for continue. For me - enough.

Howard, please do continue and Ron, please please please please follow through with this as many others I'm sure think it's enough as well. Ron, you have proven yourself undoubtable, I can't remember anyone who's embarrassed themselves more.

Will DBA Infopower recover, (unlike the OP's database) from your contributions, I doubt it. What DBA Infopower requires is a DBAPITR, sometime just prior to you joining them.

Has it really been 15 years, gee how time flies ....

Richard Received on Thu Feb 19 2004 - 05:11:37 CST