Oracle Connection Pool Performance

From: Tim Smith <timasmith_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 18 Feb 2004 19:58:37 -0800

We are troubleshooting performance problems with our application. There are 30-50 users using an web IE OLTP application against a 3-6GB database, queries often hitting several tables (40,000-1.2M rows but using indexes) foreign key constraints enabled). The architecture is ASP.NET - DOT NET 1.1 which means a connection pool using OLEDB. There are issues with DataReaders not being closed - meaning new connections opening often - sometimes we see 90-120 open connections.

The clustered dual server is fairly new with a fast dual cpu, INTEL, WIN2000 server over 9 disks, mostly Raid 5. However there is 1.5GB RAM and little disk I/O activity. Perhaps the issue lies in the SQL, lack of caching and connection pool. However there are no queries with huge buffer gets and the oracle stats do not point to anything specific.

Are there inefficiencies with dot net 1.0 with Oracle and many users? Any ideas on next steps - Metalink does not have much that is NT specific.

Final info Database is 8.0.5 and no not an option to upgrade that yet, perhaps in 6 months but the issues are here and now :-) Received on Wed Feb 18 2004 - 21:58:37 CST