Re: shared_pool_size=800M ???

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 02:51:12 GMT

Marc Blum wrote:

> 9.2.0.4 EE, SUN Solaris
>
> At a customer's site I installed a database/instance for a new app. All I knew
> was, that there wouldn't be much code running in the db, perhaps some plsql and
> a bit of java. The vast majority of work would be done by the clients, written
> in java by some OO-fellows. I gave the instance 100m shared pool which is pretty
> much, but to be on the safe side.
>
> Now the developers start complaining, the shared pool ought to have 800m !!!
> I myself doesn't have any clue why any app needs so much shared pool. So please
> enlighten me with some serious reasons for that.
>
> thanks in advance
>

> --
> Marc Blum
> mailto:blumNOSPAM_at_marcblum.de
> http://www.marcblum.de

Set your pga_aggregate_target to 100MB or more if you can, but not your shared pool unless you REALLY have a lot of packages, procedures, functions, etc. OEM has some nice graphs on the main instance page which can help show whether any of several memory parameters is working well or not.

You can show this to some people on a Windows or Linux workstation and they will likely be impressed! ;-)

Why are the developers complaining? Check for "easy" problems like poorly crafted queries (temp tablespace / sort area growing without bound, excessive disk /O, etc).

--Mark Bole Received on Wed Feb 18 2004 - 20:51:12 CST