Re: rman recover/restore from backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:05:50 +1100

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:Nr2dnVQ0ffhRC6zdRVn-uA_at_comcast.com...

> Hello Bricken,
>
> Thank you for bringing this in.
>
> As you may check in previous posts I never ever questioned or suggested
> Mr. Howard's professional abilities (despite his absolutely unreasonable
> attempts earlier to doubt my profession experience and advice)

They weren't, and aren't, unreasonable, actually. You judge a tree by its fruit.

> What I did is merely noted that Mr. Howard omitted very important
database
> recovery option

TSPITR might be "very important" BUT IT WASN'T RELEVANT TO THE QUESTION THAT THE ORIGINAL POSTER ASKED!!!!! How did I know it wasn't relevant? Because I can read. How should you now know it wasn't relevant? Because the original poster got his database back and working by following my advice, and not by doing a TSPITR. Jeez. This is like trying to teach a puppy to sit.

I didn't mention the spfile, or RAC, or advanced replication... because THEY WEREN'T RELEVANT, either. In fact, shock horror, what I did was to answer the question that was asked.

Honestly! You just throw bits from the Oracle manual in because it's "very important", do you, or what?

>and pointed user into direction that can be end of DBA
> career in production environment.

I don't even pretend to know what that particular sub-clause of your sentence means.

> With all this said - no one is perfect. Even the best experts can and
do
> make mistakes.

There was no mistake, Ron. I didn't mention TSPITR, because it wasn't relevant. I can't seem to get that through to you, though, can I?

>So, there is no need to be offended. Someone corrects you,
> recognize it and that's it.

Then that makes you a hypocrite, Ron, because you have never admitted, once, that the advice you gave on external tables, archiving, and the particular recovery scenario under discussion in this thread was wrong, wrong, wrong.

> Please, look up the thread. Is there was any reason even to attempt to
> prove that user did not said exactly what he said?

Again, not entirely sure what that last sentence means. But I needed nothing pointing out about the user's requirements. Read it and weep, Ron: the guy got his database back by *following my advice*. Not yours.

>I think no. I was the one
> who all the time was trying to stop this flame .

No, you thought you'd be a smartass and point out that I hadn't mentioned TSPITR, for what reason I can't imagine. That the guy had no use for TSPITR didn't stop you at all. That his recovery scenario needed nothing other than standard disaster recovery RMAN procedures didn't stop you either.

> Mr. Howard is a long time list contributor. Does this gives anyone right
> to treat new members as a second class citizens?

Whether I am a long-time contributor or not, I have the right to call a spade a spade, and an idiot an idiot if the idiot won't take the hint.

You come on this newsgroup and take sides in a dispute over a Don Burleson article, the details of which dispute you know nothing about. You don't back off from taking sides when some of the subtleties of it are gently pointed out to you. You thereby impugn the integrity of another extremely helpful poster to this group. You don't apologise for it. You proceed to offer appallingly bad advice in a number of threads, and when called on it by various posters simply say "I gave the guy a choice" or "thank you for expanding my answer" when what you *should* have said is, "I was wrong, and I apologise".

When a new "member" behaves so crassly, with such hubris, and with such disdain for the normal rules of polite society, then you can expect to be treated as you have been, and not just by me it would appear.

You are a complete waste of time, and I pity the poor newbies who end up on the receiving end of your "advice".

Memo to myself: stop feeding the trolls.

HJR Received on Wed Feb 18 2004 - 20:05:50 CST