Re: oracle licensing question

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Feb 2004 16:29:02 -0800

Vince Laurent <eAddict_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<775730hqpmmire11ea7vk8oppoi3bmtb5e_at_4ax.com>...
> If we have a license for Oracle Enterprise do we have the option (ie
> license) to make a hot standby database under the same license? We are
> looking for a way to have a reliable and inexpensive standby system
> for disaster recover only.

There was an article in SELECT magazine regarding this issue. Unfortunately, SELECT is published by IOUG-A, not O R A C L E. Your sales contract, license, etc is what is authoritative for your situation.
ymmv.

It is possible that a standby database that is activated less than a threshold number of times per year could be included under the database server license.

As always, it depends, check with your sales rep, etc.

The people that I have spoken with regarding licensing have been quite reasonable, and understanding regarding opening up the standby database as read only to run a few queries to make sure that things are in good shape, but not as a method of offloading of reporting.

Pd Received on Wed Feb 18 2004 - 18:29:02 CST