Re: Alert log File (External tables)

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:47:32 -0000

"Connor McDonald" <hamcdc_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:4031FEC6.1B5_at_yahoo.co.uk...
> MATHEW KING wrote:
> >
> > Hi Every one,
> >
> > I want to copy all the contents of An Oracle ALERT Log file in an
> > Oracle table dynamically.
> > Every time when I run the routine it append the text from alert log
> > file into an Oracle table.
> > Could someone give me suggestion how should it possible.
> > Should I create and use external tables or procedure to do that.
> >
> > Any ideas will be appreciated.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > M.King
>
> You can find an implementation of this in one of the chapters of the
> book listed in my sig. It handles lengthy lines, associated the
> date/time stamp with each alert line, and anomalies like how ora-1555 is
> written to the log file in v9 etc

Hi so the book arrived today and you know where I went first (ok second after Mogens' sober introduction) :( .

I'm intrigued that you (and Robert Freeman) both set a reject limit of unlimited (with no bad or discard file). What is the rationale behind this, whilst I can't see you hitting any errors I'm instinctively against discarding errors unread?

cheers

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA