Re: RAC over NFS

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:20:56 -0800

Hans Forbrich wrote:

> NorwoodThree wrote:
>

>>Possible: Yes
>>Recommended: No
>>
>>The leading filer vendor seems to be Network Appliance as far as
>>Oracle as concerned. As someone who has implemented large data
>>warehouses on Network Appliance, I cannot stress enough that this
>>solution should NOT be considered.
>>
>>It was extremely painful to get any "oomph" outta that thing, even
>>with Network Appliance consultants (and eventually Oracle intervened).
>> By the time we had it all going, the company I worked for could have
>>ordered a SAN like I originally requested. And I hated the final
>>architecture. I no longer work at that company...way too painful.
>>
>>My .02
>

> Totally agree.  This might be acceptable in a LAB but NOT in a
> production environment.
>
> /Hans

Sorry to disagree gentlemen. But a benchmark done at Oracle Corp. where it is being used for production showed only a minor difference between the best of breed Hitachi SAN and the NetApp NAS.

Something like 12 minutes out of 18 hours of hard processing.

You may be thinking of older NetApp technology.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu