Re: What is the best way to copy 2G table data between two databases

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:19:20 +0100

"Burt Peltier" <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I use exp/imp a LOT and have used the technique I listed below MANY times.

You seem to be very experienced with exp/imp. Please comment on the following method; this is not exactly about the question asked originally, but refers to a huge export of different schemas:

  1. Do a structure export (rows=n) and import the dump into the target dB.
  2. Do an export of indexes.
  3. Start export (direct=y compress=n) without indexes schemawise in parallel, directing the output into a pipe, from which the dumps would be compressed and sent to the target DB on the fly (compression factor about 30 in my case). The target DB would load the dumps in parallel too.
  4. Import indexes.

The whole process is diskless.

I am actually preparin to do just that.

>- Note1: If you do not have fast local disk, then this would not work
>anywhere near as well as I have seen.

No disk issue with my method.

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Tue Feb 17 2004 - 16:19:20 CST