Re: Alert log File (External tables)

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 17 Feb 2004 09:45:52 -0800

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:<qYSdnVX9i89EHbHdRVn-hg_at_comcast.com>...
> Here you go:
>
> 1. create directory BDUMP as '...';
>
> 2. create table alert_log ( text varchar2(80) )
> organization external (
> type oracle_loader
> default directory BDUMP
> access parameters (
> records delimited by newline
> )
> location('<alert.log>')
> )
> reject limit 1000;
> Regards,
>
> Ron
> DBA Infopower
> http://www.dbainfopower.com
> Standard disclaimer:
> http://www.dbainfopower.com/dbaip_advice_disclaimer.html
>

> "MATHEW KING" <bzbzzb_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Every one,
> >
> > I want to copy all the contents of An Oracle ALERT Log file in an
> > Oracle table dynamically.
> > Every time when I run the routine it append the text from alert log
> > file into an Oracle table.
> > Could someone give me suggestion how should it possible.
> > Should I create and use external tables or procedure to do that.
> >
> > Any ideas will be appreciated.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > M.King

instead of loading the alert log into a table i find it easy to do the following:

  1. make a copy of your alert log.
  2. at a designated point in time(I do it every 5 minutes) do a diff between your last copy and your current alert log, redirect output to a file
  3. grep for 'ORA' and/or whatever keyword you want.
  4. If anything comes back email the diff to yourself.
  5. Make another copy of your alert log and overwrite your previous one.

does anyone have a better method? Received on Tue Feb 17 2004 - 11:45:52 CST