Re: Solaris Hardware

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:10:22 GMT

Tim Smith wrote:

> There is plenty of memory, I believe most of the performance issues
> comes from disk I/O. I feel the memory/process management/file system
> I/O would be better handled on UNIX. 8.0.5 is the bear we have.

You really want to get some runtime stats on this before jumping - look at statspack if nothing else. Otherwise, based on experience, it's a subjective comparison and the battle of "it really doesn't feel that much faster" vs "how much did that new machine cost" will begin.

There usually is very little reason for keeping the database at the 8.0.5 level unless you are using a feature introduced in 8.0 (AQ & Intermedia are prime examples - new APIs that have significantly improved). Hopefully you can test upgrading the database while keeping the client & SQLNet/Net8 at 8.0.5. This would allow a gentler migration path while getting the advantage of the newer RDBMS version. (And there are HUGE advantages to 9i over anything 8.x)

If you can u/g the database, then seriously consider a Sun E280 or E480 which play in the same space as your typical SMP-Intel box. Otherwise consider staying with an E250/E450 at Solaris 2.6 - and I was not joking about looking at EBay for that. With the E250/E280/E450 (but not E480) you can look into Oracle Standard edition as well - if that works you can apply the $ saved to getting the client s/w upgraded properly.

/Hans Received on Tue Feb 17 2004 - 09:10:22 CST