Re: Solaris Hardware

From: Andy Spaven <andy.spavenREMOVETHIS_at_eps-hq.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:31:19 -0000

Tim

Taking a finger in the air approach with some guess work I'd suggest you look at /evaluate something like a 280 with either 1or 2 T3 or D2 disk unit(s) and with 4GB of mem. The D2's are JBODs (just a bunch of disk) whereas the T3s can be configured to be RAID-5 (don't) or RAID 1+0/RAID 10/Stripped and Mirrored (call it what you will). That should be overkill - unless the users are running loads of inefficient SQL or heavy reports you should probably cope with that config.

Also consider installing a more recent version of the database server but retaining the 8.0.5. ONLY for the clients (given they must be PC's with reference to PowerBuilder and .NET) as this is probably the true requirement of the software (unless they chose to use Advanced Queing - something that changed radically in the 8.0 days to 8.1. and then 9.x). The Net*8 interface will take care of the differences between client and server and you get a more reliable performant back end server.

Andy