Re: Solaris Hardware

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 06:04:48 GMT

Tim Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a low cost, high performance solution on Solaris?
> We would like to see what Sun hardware/O/S will give us over Oracle
> on Intel Windows
>
> The only requirements that come to mind are the ability to support
> a) Oracle 8.05 Standard Edition
> b) 10-14 Disks
>
> Any pointers?

Another Apples to Bananas comparison?

You really don't provide much information about your requirements. Why are you interested in switching - are you experiencing memory/disk/stability/user-count issues? You also don't mention what kind of machine you have now, so noone can reasonably provide an alternative. For example, a Sun Ultra5 will handle Oracle 8.0.5 and 10-14 disks, but doesn't stack up against a Pentium-2000.

Since you mention Oracle 8.0.5, which has long been desupported by Oracle, you imply that stability, support, availability and performance are not a concern. Therefore you will likely be happy with any Sun equipment you could get off EBay. I happen to like Sun E250s and E450s; they are a decent Oracle workhorse, accept a fair chunk of memory and have decent disk subsystem support.

Then again my suggestion would be to consider upgrading - get Oracle9i on a Linux box (partially 'cause I'm a Linux believer lately).

/Hans Received on Tue Feb 17 2004 - 00:04:48 CST