Re: Internal locks

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 16 Feb 2004 07:49:07 -0800

"Ofer" <oferr_at_realcommerce.co.il> wrote in message news:<c0q6at$2om$1_at_news2.netvision.net.il>...
> Hi all,
>
> I am running a forum DB, and most of my users ask for the most recent page
> or message.
> Since everybody turn to the same block, I have many internal locks on that
> block...
>
> I increased the number of latches, and it helped for a while, but as the
> volume of the users goes up, my DB suffers from that problem again.
> As far as I understand, the problem is that most of the viewed data is at
> the same block, and get locked while retrieved...
>
> Is there a way to store the data in different random blocks, or any other
> solution for that problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Ofer

Ofer, by default Oracle does not lock data when it is read. Also a latching problem and a locking problem are not one and the same in Oracle, which problem do you have?

Is is select for update in use? You need to explain the processing and your analysis of the locks and latches to get decent responses on what your problem might be.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Feb 16 2004 - 09:49:07 CST