Re: Java Stored Procedures

From: Carlos <miotromailcarlos_at_netscape.net>
Date: 16 Feb 2004 01:23:13 -0800

"Hawkeye" <me_at_my-deja.nospamcom> wrote in message news:<iYVXb.40926$yE5.160182_at_attbi_s54>...
> I am investigating the Java Stored Procedure, first to gain better
> understanding on what this is,
> and also if it would be suitable for a new project which will be running on
> Sun One AS7
> (Client is Swing)
>
> I have spent about a day reading through many docs, mostly in Oracle site
> and also the
> past newsgroup discussions. Still, I am not clear really on who this Java
> Stored Proc
> technology is intended for. Most of the example are toy examples really.
> Any consensus on who this technology is aimed at and who should really be
> using it?
>

> Would you use Java Stored Proc and have it contain lots of JDBC calls inside
> it and have it be
> called either by a client or a EJB session bean?
>
> Any info based on experience would be helpful
>
> THANKS
The power of including java in the DB is difficult to explain but easy to understand for those who know Oracle and have experience in working on it. Basicaly, it opens a new world of functionalities that can be implemented inside the database just there, where PL/SQL lacks. It DOES NOT NEED to make JDBC calls to work, it can work without them (nevertheless, the built-in JDBC driver works quite fast).

I will give you an example that is currently working OK in our DB:

We needed a CRC to secure output XML files. Did we progammed a PL/SQL code to implement it? No. We used a java class that does it for us (CRC) and loaded it into the DB. Then we wrapped the class in a PL/SQL package and now we can call for the CRC for any object we need (varchar, clob, etc...). It took us 20 minutes all the process.

Note that this is how many built-in Oracle procedures are stored.

Regards. Received on Mon Feb 16 2004 - 03:23:13 CST