Re: Alert log File (External tables)

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:18:05 -0000

Hi

If one creates a permanent table alert_log with a logline column varchar2(4000) on 9.2 then I believe this should illustrate a second approach for the original poster. The idea is to run it once a day to populate a permanent table with the contents of the alert log and then rename the alert log. If you wish to monitor more frequently, which would be a good idea on a production system then it would make sense to change the date format mask for the rename.

create or replace procedure read_alertlog(p_filename IN VARCHAR2,p_location in VARCHAR2)

as

/*

purpose: procedure to read alert log at a daily interval.

requirements: Directory object created for the background_dump_dest.

read permissions on this directory.

table called alert_log, column logline varchar2(4000).

parameters: name of alert log, name of bdump directory.

Version: NL 27/11/2003 - created.

NL 02/12/2003 - generalized.

*/

fHandle UTL_FILE.FILE_TYPE;

v_logline VARCHAR2(4000);

v_newname varchar2(50);

BEGIN fHandle := UTL_FILE.FOPEN(p_location,p_filename,'r',4000);

loop

begin

UTL_FILE.get_line(fHandle,v_logline);

insert into alert_log(logline) values(v_logline);

exception -- reached end of file

when no_data_found then exit;

end;

end loop;

UTL_FILE.FCLOSE(fHandle);

v_newname := p_filename||to_char(sysdate,'DDMMYY');

UTL_FILE.FRENAME(p_location,p_filename,p_location,v_newname);

end;

/

--
Niall Litchfield