Re: What is the best way to copy 2G table data between two databases

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:53:09 -0500

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 01:06:38 +0800, David wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to copy all data from a table (which is about 2G size) from
> database A to B (both are 8.1.7, archive log mode, but on different server).
> What is the safest and fastest way to do this? I have some options:
>
> 1) exp/imp
> 2) insert /*+ append */ with nologging, with database link
>
> Which option is better? Or any other ways?

Option 3:
Unload the data into a file, compress & copy to another server, use sqlldr. This is pain in the neck, or lower, but loading is really fast. If you use DBI, writing an unloader program is a breeze. Option 4:)
Put the table into a separate tablespace and transport it to another machine. You can do it in 8i if both databases are on the same platform and have the same blocksize. Be sure to drop any foreign keys when transporting the tablespace. Hopefully, the table doesn't contain LOB or LONG columns, either.

--
Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.