Re: Oracle 10g kills 8i listener

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 14:24:51 +1100

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:-IqdnSNV4olLebPd4p2dnA_at_comcast.com...
> Hello Howard,
>
> You really think I did not knew mechanics of service registration, do
you?

Well, let's just review your original contribution, shall we?

" To do this, you must set the init.ora parameter local_listener to use a TCP port other than the one defined in your listener.ora file."

Never mind that local_listener takes a tns service name alias, not a TCP port. Never mind that the port and the protocol are two different things, and that there is no intrinsic relationship between the two. Never mind any of that. You said that local_listener could be used to "disable" instance registration.

I'm not surprised I didn't think you knew the mechanics of service registration. Every substantive point you made, you made wrong.

> In fact, I opened Oracle TAR on similar issue about two years ago :-)

Oh well, that obviously makes you an expert on the subject then.

> I just don't see a point or need in sending long detailed flames or
> clinging to the words of my colleagues.

Because words have meaning, and if you use the wrong words, you will be misinforming your readers.

> We here to help, not to argue.

Then help, by getting it right.
HJR Received on Sat Feb 14 2004 - 21:24:51 CST