Re: rman recover/restore from backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:44:33 +1100

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:B7ydnVNT6qWWTLPd4p2dnA_at_comcast.com...

> Dear Howard,
>
> With all respect - you advice totally ignores existence of TSPITR.

I didn't ignore it. I didn't mention it because it is not relevant to the original poster's requirements.

Let's see: Conceptually, TSPITR means take backups of a database and recover them to a previous point in time, export tablespaces out of that recovered ("auxiliary") database, and plug them into another database, which is usually the database where the original backups came from. The idea of TSPITR is to allow a point-in-time recovery to be (effectively) performed on *part* of a database, rather than all of it -but that rather presupposes that the database you end up plugging the recovered tablespace into is your production database, full of other useful data. Not a brand new one with nothing else in it.

Fine. Our original poster has a new database he can plug things into, though it otherwise has nothing of interest in it. He might even have a backup of his database that he can use to create an auxiliary database from which to extract the USERS tablespace. But before he can extract and transport his USERS tablespace, he'll have to recover using his existing RMAN backups. But if he recovers from those backups, why would he then want to transport USERS into his new database at all? At that point, he has got USERS as fully recovered as he can get it, and he has a working database containing it. His new database is utterly irrelevant to the equation.

What TSPITR can do for you is not what our original poster actually needs done.

And that's why it is all rather pointless to have mentioned it at all.

HJR Received on Sat Feb 14 2004 - 20:44:33 CST