Re: rman recover/restore from backup

From: Ron <support_at_dbainfopower.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:59:40 -0800

Dear Howard,

  With all respect - you advice totally ignores existence of TSPITR.

  Since user just need data from "USERS" tablespace he should perform tablespace point-in-time recovery and transport tablespace to the new database.

  To Joe: Please check below link for a start:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96566/rcmtspit.htm#443309

Regards,

  Ron
  DBA Infopower
  http://www.dbainfopower.com
  Standard disclaimer:
http://www.dbainfopower.com/dbaip_advice_disclaimer.html

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:402ec170$0$18304$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> "Joe Fischer" <jfischer@__fischerhome__.org> wrote in message
> > I have an Oracle Enterprise 9.2 db running on Linux. It does
> > an RMAN level 0 backup weekly and level 1 backups nightly. Recently
> > the data partition failed and the data files, control files, etc are
> > gone. They are not on the tape backups because they were open when
> > the tape backup ran.
> > So I have the last full RMAN backup and the incremetals on a
> > partition that I was able to get to.
> > The basics of the commands are:
> >
> > $ORACLE_HOME/bin/rman TARGET / CMDFILE '/u03/bin/ora_level0.rcv' LOG
> > '/u04/rman/ora_level0.log'
> >
> > and the rman command file has:
> >
> > CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT =
> > '/u04/rman/level_0_%s_%t.bck';
> > BACKUP INCREMENTAL LEVEL 0 DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG DELETE ALL INPUT;
> >
> > After creating a new partition for the data files, I ran dbca
> > to create new database files. I would like to get the users tablespace
> > stuff out of the backups and put it into the new database that was
> > created by dbca.
> > The docos are pretty confusing about all of this. Is there
> > not some way to basically take the .bck files, extract the users
> > tablespace and put it into the existing database? Sort of like what
> > you might do with import?
> > Thanks.
>

> No. A data file is an intrinsic part of a database, so you can't just whip
> one out of database A and expect database B to accept it with open arms.
> There is a transportable tablespace option for export that lets you do
that,
> but it works by doing things to database B's data dictionary tables.
>
> Anyway, RMAN isn't export, so what you are asking cannot be done. I'm not
> entirely sure why you went to all the bother and expense of creating a
brand
> new database when your requirement appears to be to recover the old one
(or
> at least part of it). If you'd lost your control file, then you are into
> doing what the RMAN documentation calls 'disaster recovery' (and not
having
> multiplexed controlfiles is indeed a disaster in the first place). But
RMAN