Re: Oracle 10g kills 8i listener

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 12:51:20 +1100

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:i82dnTn25774U7PdRVn-hQ_at_comcast.com...
> Hello Howard,
>
> Why don't you concentrate on technical advice.
>
> Otherwise you just ridicule yourself by clinging to the words (not to
the
> meaning) which can be interpreted either way (as you did with all my other
> posts),
>
> If you'd check metalink (if you have access to it), you'd find out that
> this is exact recommendation made by oracle.
>
> If I am guilty of providing the same advice that Oracle does - so be it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ron

Ron, you're advice is worthless, to say the least, and isn't Oracle's at all. Local_listener does *not* "disable" automatic instance registration, but controls the way in which that registration takes place. PMON is responsible for registering the existence of an instance at startup and at 5 minute intervals thereafter, and (in 9i R2 and above) when the alter system register command is issued. By default, PMON registers with a listener running on port 1521, using the TCP/IP protocol. If your listener is NOT running on that port, or using that protocol, then local_listener gives you the ability to specify, by way of tns names resolution, a different port and different protocol.

If you leave local_listener unset, then PMON will seek a default listener. If you set it, it will resolve the service name alias supplied and register with the listener it finds where the resolution mechanism tells it to look.

The one thing it doesn't do is "disable" instance registration.

To say that it does says more about your technical abilities than it does about mine.

HJR

Oracle Insights: www.dizwell.com