Re: rman recover/restore from backup

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 11:46:37 +1100

"Joe Fischer" <jfischer@__fischerhome__.org> wrote in message news:sj9t201dn8huktc29ik45j6ivib2te09pj_at_4ax.com...
> I have an Oracle Enterprise 9.2 db running on Linux. It does
> an RMAN level 0 backup weekly and level 1 backups nightly. Recently
> the data partition failed and the data files, control files, etc are
> gone. They are not on the tape backups because they were open when
> the tape backup ran.
> So I have the last full RMAN backup and the incremetals on a
> partition that I was able to get to.
> The basics of the commands are:
>
> $ORACLE_HOME/bin/rman TARGET / CMDFILE '/u03/bin/ora_level0.rcv' LOG
> '/u04/rman/ora_level0.log'
>
> and the rman command file has:
>
> CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT =
> '/u04/rman/level_0_%s_%t.bck';
> BACKUP INCREMENTAL LEVEL 0 DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG DELETE ALL INPUT;
>
> After creating a new partition for the data files, I ran dbca
> to create new database files. I would like to get the users tablespace
> stuff out of the backups and put it into the new database that was
> created by dbca.
> The docos are pretty confusing about all of this. Is there
> not some way to basically take the .bck files, extract the users
> tablespace and put it into the existing database? Sort of like what
> you might do with import?
> Thanks.

No. A data file is an intrinsic part of a database, so you can't just whip one out of database A and expect database B to accept it with open arms. There is a transportable tablespace option for export that lets you do that, but it works by doing things to database B's data dictionary tables.

Anyway, RMAN isn't export, so what you are asking cannot be done. I'm not entirely sure why you went to all the bother and expense of creating a brand new database when your requirement appears to be to recover the old one (or at least part of it). If you'd lost your control file, then you are into doing what the RMAN documentation calls 'disaster recovery' (and not having multiplexed controlfiles is indeed a disaster in the first place). But RMAN would have quite happily, under those circumstances, used the good backups available to it to restore and recover the old database.

I would get rid of the new database you've built (because it's not going to be useful to you), and have another read of the doco. on how to perform disaster recovery with RMAN. It *is* quite involved, but the trick is to get your control file back first, and then after that it's more or less standard RMAN recovery.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Feb 14 2004 - 18:46:37 CST