Re: How to calibrate the CBO

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: 14 Feb 2004 05:09:52 -0800

"Ron" <support_at_dbainfopower.com> wrote in message news:<wfOdnUlv-4Uq8LDdRVn-tA_at_comcast.com>...
> Hello Richard,
>
> I am not talking about technical stuff here. Everyone can and will have a
> mistakes.

Ron, that's your problem isn't. You don't talk about technical stuff, you frankly go on what with crap.

Yes everyone makes mistakes although I suggest some make a lot lot more than others. What I have done is highlight those mistakes and point out why they are mistakes. What do you do ? You highlight those mistakes and disguise them as "some good recommendations" !!

That's possibly the worst mistake of all ...

> My point is about playing nice, being a "mench"

Ron, please explain what is *nice* about writing articles that are mis-leading and technically incompetent. Ron, please explain what is *nice* about offering a link that suggests such an article has "some good recommendations. Ron, what is *not nice* about correcting your summation and highlighting exactly why the said article is tripe.

> Mike and Don both take a huge participation in creating oracle database
> industry as we know it today.

That's somewhat debatable however it doesn't get us over the fact that Don's silver bullet article is tripe.

> Their books are one of the best (Don's statspack book for example a
> unique gem, IMHO).
>
> Why publicly attack people who contributed so much?

Attack people ? Ron, what planet are you from ? I "attacked" (your words) Don's *article*. Don is not tripe, many of his articles including this particular one *you* recommended is tripe. I didn't "attack" Mike, I *defended* myself from Mike's attack.

If someone publicly writes an article that is technically awful (Don), then someone else suggests that it's full of good recommendations (you), then I have no problem in publicly highlighting those inaccuracies, especially if the author has previously refused to do anything about them in the past.

And yet, I'm the villain ...

> I personally DBA with over 15 years of experience, know Oracle from the
> code base.

Ron, I'm sorry but I doubt that very very much. You have bluntly refused my challenge to put your case why you *technically* thought the article has "some good recommendations" and why my technical appraisal and conclusion were incorrect.

Ron, in my eyes, you have *NO* technical credibilty whatsoever.

Ron, *why has the article got "some good recommendations"* ????? They're your words, your recommendation, now *justify it* !!

If you've been a DBA for 15 years, if you know Oracle from the code base (I can't stop smiling as I write this), then I'm David Bowie's love child ...

Ron, how I dream you're right however when I wake up tomorrow morning, I doubt anything will have changed ...

> Being couple days in this newsgroup and trying to help I was attacked as
> well, just for trying to share free program with the colleagues.

You made a mistake (several rather stupid and basic ones for someone with 15 years DBA experience) and someone corrects you, that is *NOT* being attacked. That is being *corrected*, a difference you have no concept of being able to understand you poor man.

> I am getting close to Mike opinion that good DBAs does not belong here
> (until all of us would play nice).

Ron, we would miss you terribly.

Have you gone yet ?

Richard Received on Sat Feb 14 2004 - 07:09:52 CST